But for now, let me show you how I updated the hardware for about $1.00. I tested the handles with a magnet first to see if they were brass and could be cleaned up and restored to their original luster. (A girl can hope, right?) Well, I had no such luck. The magnet stuck, which means that they had been finished with a brass color, and maybe another color later, but the actual handle is only iron based. If it was brass, I would have cleaned it this way.
I really didn’t want to spray paint these guys, mainly because they were boring, and fairly chipped up. I was also too lazy to replace them, because chances are I never would have found new handles with four holes in exactly the places I needed them. And I certainly didn’t feel like filling the holes on this piece, or spending money for new ones.
I gained inspiration from these rope wrapped handle pulls at Anthropologie.
I used some Jute Twine*, but sisal twine would do the trick as well.
(Affiliate links marked with an asterisk. Read about our disclosure policy here.)